Monday, January 7, 2013

WiX: Really, Really Open Source


I haven't blogged about WiX in a while but there has been an pretty significant change recently that I thought I call out and comment on.

As some of you may have already seen, the founder of the WiX toolset, Rob Mensching, has left Microsoft and with it, so did the WiX toolset. Rob plans on focusing full time on WiX and I think that could be a very good thing for the toolset. WiX is a powerful toolset that enables massively scalable setup solutions designed to work for anyone from a one man product all the way up to massive enterprise level products like Office, Visual Studio, and many, many more.

Rob's dedication to the WiX project has been unceasing for 13 years. He put his blood, sweat, and tears into making sure WiX was able to deliver everything its users needed. I have personally worked with Rob for 7 of those years and have many fond memories of late nights solving tough problems. I'll probably follow this post up with some commentary about my experiences with Rob and WiX. Although this current change makes it a little harder for me to contribute to the project, I wish Rob all the best in his new adventure and look forward to seeing what WiX can become with him focused on it full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment